Thursday 24 March 2016

Thursday Thoughts; The Fall. Why?

Everywhere you read about them, you read the John Peel quote “Always Different, Always the Same” and he was right. No song has ever been performed the same way twice and some mr Mark e smith has probably forgotten about.  No band sound like The Fall and if they did they were just called copyists (like Pavement (who I actually like)).  It’s quite a feat; I can imagine listening to them in the late seventies and going “What is this racket!?” and I still stay that to this day.

But with the technology and time you can see where this racket came from. I have somehow by some twist of events become a massive Can fan and they sound like The Fall. I have found myself owning a copy of Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart & Magic Band and that sounds like The Fall. But as a Punk in the late 70’s you wouldn’t know that. 

I can’t quite put my finger on why I like them so much. It’s not just because Peel liked them. It’s not the fact that my dad likes them. It’s not that all of their albums are awesome (see This Nation's Saving Grace & Ersatz GB (some great songs but as albums, not sold). Is it because Mark E smith is a lyrical genius? No. (see Industrial Estate). It’s just different.

And now I have to decide whether to buy a ticket to go see them based on an excellent last album and a really rather chaotic EP. and it seems a same not to share this on the subject of The Fall. Saw this live as part of a set by Mark Wynn as support for Sleaford Mods and loved it.



No comments:

Post a Comment