Thursday 28 April 2016

Wish I Could Be like David Carson

When I first saw his work I had no idea what to think. It was so different. I was only introduced to it in my first year at university. 2013. 20 years plus after it was initially published. 20 years after it was fresh. But it struck a chord. This work didn't look legible. The text was so abstract. Put it on on a Jackson Pollock painting and it would fit in.  It becomes legible once you understand the motivation behind the work. It was all about feel and look not whether you could "read it" traditionally.
This book is like a "best of" compilation of his early work.
I have watched many of his talks online. Most repeat stories but they all just show an honest bloke talking frankly about the work he has done. And that's fascinating because it seems initially that big designers are rockstars or the visual world but to see a so called "big designer" being like everyone else. In one lecture he says you can actually ring him or email him and he will reply. That's better than most job sites offer at the minute (am I right?).

What I am trying to say is I like his work and his approach to fans/other designers. If or when I get more well known I want to keep this approach. David Carson, you set a great example.

No comments:

Post a Comment