Friday 2 September 2016

Honestly worth a listen

Honesty is often considered a given when you talk to someone. When you ask for a recollection of what they (your work colleague or best friend) did at the weekend, the expectation is that they will reply honestly. Same with political discourse, in celebrity interviews and with anyone. Honesty implies a down to earth-ness and relates to truth. But where does one draw the lie? There is a song by the Kaiser Chiefs feat. Sway called Half the Truth: I will not lie to you but I will definitely only give you half the Truth. I was brought up not to lie, doesn't mean I've never done it, but I know the right thing to do is not to lie.

The main reason I am writing this is over the weekend is I heard a podcast interview on Scroobius Pip's Distraction Pieces podcast with the legend Tom Robinson and quite frankly it was the most amazing thing. This man put the truth plain and simple down, not in a half the truth, not in a contrived way or a celeb gossip special. He spoke about sexuality, nearly taking his own life twice and how he returned to music plus so much more. I just went; this is amazing. If politics was like this, the boat would rock so hard it would capsize.

Mentioning no names here

The depression part of this long interview stuck so much, telling people what it was genuinely like; not a Hollywood glaze or alternative loner outsider or misunderstood genius sort of way, but Ill for days on end unable to do anything. I am not that bad with my episodes but I want to be as honest about my experience as possible and this man has shown me the best model for doing so.

Here's the podcast links Part 1 & Part 2 and a link to the man himself playing a favourite song of mine "up against the wall"

No comments:

Post a Comment