Friday 14 October 2016

I find comfort in what my mind can't comprehend

Comfort zones, we all have them when we want to feel like there is nothing wrong (there is always something wrong) but it's good to feel like there is nothing. I resort to music that I used to listen to when I was growing up. I still know all the words and it just feels good to listen to. I love it but I don't listen to it like it used to because of this comfort zone.

I try to break out of it as often as I can. Using the logic I once heard from the wise man known as Keith Richards; I want to find out the guys that inspired the people I liked. One of the main references for this was Elvis Presley. Elvis was inspired by the Blues which is why I think The Stones became a Blues band and not a "Rock and Roll band" (in the Elvis sense). So I listened to David Bowie (especially his Berlin stuff) and was told it was inspired by Krautrock. Now I am a big Can fan. I listened to Talking Heads and they were inspired by Steve Reich so I got really into Music for 18 Musicians and Double Sextet. I listened to Billy Bragg and was inspired by Woody Guthrie so made it my business to listen to him. Listened to Joy Division and they liked William Burroughs so explored his work. Listened to The Clash and they were big big Dub fans and now I am a big big Dub fan. I love to explore.


It pushes my frame of reference and joins more dots. You can do this with film and games and books and beer. It doesn't make sense to me to stay in a whole of comfort. The clubbing people who go out every week to the same club, to listen to the same music with the same people; it will lose it's thrill really easily. Without an element of change you will end up hating what you like. With change you may end up hating what you used to like and like what you used to hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment