Wednesday 23 November 2016

It's Over, It's Over, It's Over*

*I hope you sing that in a Roy Orbison Stylee that it was meant.


University is over.

"But James you left months ago?"

To that I would retort but I didn't officially graduate. I merely finished a rollercoaster three year course with varying degrees of success in my own mind but officially left with the grade that I set out to achieve.

"That was an odd, long winded statement, wasn't it?"

Yes but stay with me. Once you leave uni you are a graduand. You have to dress up fancy and wear a square hat and a heavy piece of cloth for a day so that the vice chancellor can cast a spell, turning you into a graduate.

"Isn't that an expensive tradition and quite tedious?"

Yes, but it was worth it to make my parents feel so proud. We disagree on a several things, get annoyed at each other and sometimes we get along just fine. But despite that; they have sunk so much time, energy and money making me the person that I am. I aim to please them and my success is source of pride for them. It's Cyclical.

"I heard you had a flat tyre"

How do you know that!? Has Vincent been talking to you? Yes we had some difficulty and disagreements on the way over but the attending was important. I had given up on getting there but my papa knew better and we made it. Got a free glass of wine too. I don't know why they couldn't stretch to a bottle of lager.

"So what now?"

Well nothings changed, I feel no different when I woke up early yesterday morning not a graduate. I still am looking for a job (anyone offering one and reading this my contact details are on the side bar as is my portfolio site). I am exploring as many avenues for the future as possible. Tomorrow is a potential internship. Today, I am going record shopping in Sunderland for something fancy. Gotta treat myself...if no one else will (mum, dad; that was a joke).

"Good Luck"

Thank you mysterious voice I made up.

A photo posted by James Alexander Reay (@jamuggins) on

Nicer photos do exist and will be uploaded soon, promise

No comments:

Post a Comment