Monday 12 December 2016

Top 25 Albums of the year

The music landscape in 2016 had been varied to say the least. I have experienced some sublime albums this year to some tearful lows. I mean this in every sense; albums have left my ears astounded, songs that have made me within seconds turn them off and music related deaths that I have sobbed at.

For this year I have compiled a list of the top 25 albums of the year and a Top 25 singles of the year. It was gonna get messy if I covered more than this. Please remember this is my opinion; I often joke that the music papers are wrong when it comes to this sort of thing but at the end of the day that is just their opinion.

First up; Albums.

25; Shine a Light… by Billy Bragg and Joe Henry. I figured that I could not put this album any higher on this as it is a covers album however it proved a more enjoyable listen that a lot of the hyped and disappointing albums. Basically, classic americana songs by leftie song writer Billy Bragg and country star Joe henry recorded on location at various train stations across the US of A.

24; Changes by Charles Bradley. I love soul music and I think we should all love soul music. It’s pure and comes from the heart and thats what this album is; all heart and soul. Mr Bradley’s voice is amazing and the band he has behind him are perfect; tender in the slow songs and funky when needs be.

23; Bottomless Pit by Death Grips. I really want to like this band but they don’t make it easy with the rest of their output but I have found a route in. This has been dubbed by the bands fan base as the most accessible album by the band so I gave it a shot and I really liked it. It’s aggressive, and loud and still not easy by any means but it does let up…a bit…sometimes.

22; Compulsory Songs by the Lucid Dream. Carlisle based psychedelic dub outfit come up with some more spacey, dreamy and repetitive rock with this new album over here. Always shocks me to here this band came out of the city I went to uni in which seems to thrive on bad clubs, overpriced bars and EDM.

21; Going Going… by The Wedding Present. Cult heroes The Wedding present take a new angle on their distinctive “all the songs sound the same” style with some more softer tracks allowing for more space in the mix and their is even one track where Gedgie try to take on The Fall.

20; Femejism - Deap Valley. It took two listens to get this but when you do; your head will start banging and them riffs will get to you. Certainly, a logical progress from the band's first album too. We also see a really strange album cover too.

19; Ash and Ice - The Kills. I haven't listened to this bad as much as I think I should of; not since I am sure the sampled Gang of Four. This is a more polished and higher production thean some of the other material I have heard. Some great tunes too.

18; King gizzard and the lizzard wizard. Heavy heavy pych rock. Noisy guitars, pounding drums and a seemingly indistinguishable tracklist.

17; Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future - Underworld. An early in the year highlight. Underworld back in the studio producing some absolute bangers. With a mid LP ambient track to track you down before the beauty continues.

16; IV - Bad Bad Not Good. Future Jazz. What an utterly meaningless title but it seems to suit this album. with some great guests appearances. the LP sound absolutely amazing. Really great record to chill out to. Listening to it as I write this post infact.

15; Konnichiwa - Skepta. Hip hop may have taken higher places on this list but this was the year of Grime if you read the music press. Skepta was a shock to me. Grime has always seemed Hip Hop's cousin with lower production value and London centric lyrics but this broadened that out so liked it a lot more.

14; Take Control - Slaves. Louder Faster and more angry than Are You Satisfied. Witty lyrics, back to basics sound and you just gotta love these guys. The fear was this was going to suffer from difficult second album syndrome but it shouts at you for doubting them.

13; Birth / Death - The computers. A live highlight of last year and this is just a fabulous album of tight, rock n roll songs with really great choruses and tunes. For what looks like a bunch of misfits the harmonies are glorious (See Leave Home by Ramones).

12; Blisters on my heart - Martha. The logical progression of the first and awesome album by the Durham band. Catchy hooks, quirky lyrics and my live highlight of the year. It’s just a joy to listen to. I found myself smiling a lot while listening to this.

11; Skeleton tree - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Fabulous, in short. (James we are gonna need a few more words to review it than that). It’s dark and menacing and Brooding. I love this man's voice; It reminds me a lot of Leonard Cohen (RIP).

10; Friends -White Lies. I didn't know Julian Cope had reformed Teardrop Explodes? What he hasn't? White Lies return with album I like after the last two failed to move me at all. And yes it sounds like Julian Cope and it's glorious. This album has Some tunes on it too, unlike previous two.

9; Let them eat Chaos - Kate Tempest. The return of the word smith that won me over everybody Down. It good to have ambition, it keeps us moving forwards, this album aims high and hits, thus achieving the rewards. Nearly an hour long and you hang on every word. Even on repeat listens the story tosses and turns.

8; Kendrick Lamar- Untitled Unmastered . A hip hop demos and unreleased tracks album that sounds better than most of the full and proper albums of this year. It’s amazing how this sort of thing can happen but K dot is just on fire at the minute.

7; Remember us to life - Regina Spektor. I was given a regina Spektor album Before this by a good friend but never listened to it. At the time I was staying in my comfort zone. however I listened to this one and fell in love. Her Lyrics are full imagery, added to interesting arrangements and augmented by her really great voice.

6; Human Performance - Parquet Courts. sunbathing animal is amazing and this is upon first listen was more accessible but I realise it's not now. It sees the band slow it down a bit but when they go off on a riff. You go places in the school of Sonic Youth; use repetition, add noise, and it's glorious.

5; Iggy Pop -Post Pop Depression. Legend! God father of punk makes a throwback comeback with an album that I knew I was going to love after I heard Gardenia on Colbert. Homme and his backing band of QTSA, arctic monkey and raconteurs brings new life to the veteran rocker.

4; Teens of Denial - Car seat Headrest. Not what I expected at all. The wild card. Its like the Modern Lovers first album everywhere which I love. Never heard of this guy before ( it's a band name but mainly spearheaded by a lone bloke). It's polished slacker rock album ( it's off kilter but with a high production value).

3; Atrocity Exhibition -Danny Brown. Another great year for alt hip hop and this one stands out. Joy Division reference in the title, dark atmosphere and some of the paranoid lyrical phrasing is this thing is really disturbing.

2;  We got it from here...thank you 4 your service - A Tribe Called Quest. Where do I begin? Hip hop veterans finish off their discography with this instant classic. Great collaborators, poignant lyrics and stunning beats. Q Tip is on point with the production here, quirky use of sampling and maintains your attention; 1 hour albums aren't normally my jams but it hold your attention all the way through.

1; Blackstar - Bowie, David. Most of you will of guested this album. Second album since his return and his last album released while he was alive. Love the space Jazz sound, the cohesiveness as an album and heart breaking lyrics. There are undertones of hip hop in some of these tracks in the beats and the phrasing goes long them same lines. Beautiful lp and CD packaging too. RIP

Hounrable mentions;

Not to Disappear - Daughter. First Album I loved this year but so many great ones took over.

 Meet the Humans - Steve Mason. Very pleasant album, kinda sounds like Elbow.

You Can't Touch Us Now - Madness. Delightful to hear the Nutty Boys still on form after all these years.

Trick - Jamie T. Never been a big fan but some glorious tracks from this guy.

You Want it Darker - Leonard Cohen. Dark, Brooding, slow album by the veteran of music and now sadly no longer with us.

Splendor and Misery - Clipping. Abstract hip hop concept album about being lost in space.

and the Anonymous Nobody... - De La Soul. More down tempo, less quirky but a great roster of guest yet with mixed results.

Songs For Our Mothers -  Fat White Family. I didn't get it on first or second listen and on the third; I liked it quite a bit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment